Tuesday, May 4, 2010

New Visitors To The Lake

About 2 1/2 weeks ago, My DH called me when he was coming home from work. He asked me if I had looked out at the lake that day. Nope, I was busy cleaning, stamping and cooking. He told me to go look out the window. There in the middle of the lake was a beautiful white swan!

The next day, my neighbor sent me this photo, which shows that it has some leg issues. It looks like he is fluffing his wings, but that leg stays that way when he is swimming.

He seemed to disappear for a few days last week, and we thought he flew the coop. This weekend he was back, and as happy as ever. He seems to have made friends with 3 Canadian geese that come back to nest each Spring. I think their nest is on the lower lake which is a wee bit more overgrown and natural. If other geese land, he has a fit and starts flapping and honking until they leave. Well, I woke up yesterday and then there were 3. DH took a few shots for me so I could do this post, but I must say, it is very hard to get clear pictures with my small camera. Here they are! I am afraid that if I try to name them, they will fly away. I also have no clue if male or female. For some reason I want to keep saying Manny, Mo, and Jack!

They love to eat weeds and preen their feathers! I hope they stay! So gorgeous! Nice surprise, huh?

8 comments:

craftieodmae said...

Yep, they are beautiful!!! you have swans, Betty has deer, all I got are black birds LOL.

The Other Patti Sue said...

Ha poor Olga... at least she has black birds! I have ants... hehehe Your swans are so,so pretty! I am so,so jealous!

Betty Benton said...

My oh my, your visitors are gorgeous! Sorry the one has an injury but he apparently copes well! Love the reflections in the water!

Kerrie said...

At least we all have some sort of nature!... I've kookaburras .... thanks for sharing with us.

Colleen said...

Mary Anne,
They are so cool loking! I would stare at them all day! You have swans, Betty has deer, Olga has black birds, Patti has ants, Kerri has Kookaburras???? and me I have WEEDS and RAIN and more weeds and rain. I can't even get out there it's wet every morning and pours evey other day!

Theresa Momber said...

Wow! What stunning photos! What an amazing place to live. Looks like he gets around well, despite the leg injury. Thanks for sharing. I could stare all day.

Cat Tidwell said...

How gorgeous Mary Anne! It makes you wonder how they communicate...like, did the one say 'hey, come check out this really cool place I found!' LOL!

Jennie said...

Wow Mary Anne, what lovely photos and I could watch them all day long. Beautiful creatures the Lord made, that is for sure!!! Looks like you have wonderful inspiration for stamping :o)